Monday, December 10, 2012

Be still . . . be vibrant


You must learn to be still in the midst of activity and to be vibrantly alive in repose.
Indira Gandhi

This takes a lot of work!  When working on some things, I do tend to be very focused, and working only on that one thing.  If someone comes along and distracts me from that work, it takes a second or two to switch gears and re-focus, and I can be a bit blunt, something I like to refer to as "speaking in bullet points."  A few people have had their feelings hurt because I'm not my usual convivial self, and then I have to try and explain that is just how I am when focused ... "it's not you, it's me."  
Ah, but repose --- my greatest challenge!  Even when my body is not in motion, my mind is full-steam ahead.  Thinking of a million things, making lists, looking around to see what to do next.  But then a funny thing happens ... I begin to question myself, wondering why don't I just get up and do something, why I'm not getting the laundry, or cleaning the bathroom (which is something that actually delivers a decent feeling of accomplishment ...), or dusting the credenza (don't have one!), or spanking the tapestries (don't have any!), or taking care of something ... or someone.  And then, nothing gets done and I castigate myself for being lazy, or yes, lethargic.
However, there have been times when I do feel a great sense of peace and stillness within my self during times of great activity ... or challenge.  And for those times, I am grateful.
And there have been times of repose during which I have felt so alive ... and joyful.  And for those times, I am grateful.  
Breathe . . . be still . . . be vibrant . . .
Be!

No comments:

Post a Comment